Historical Events as Published
in the Iola Herald and Waupaca Post
February 13, 1890: The Missouri Lutheran church society is hauling lumber for erecting a church here this spring. April 3, 1890: Taylor Bros., liverymen of Iola, appear to be doing a good business as for the past few weeks they have been obliged to bring as many as two and three rigs loaded with passengers daily to Scandinavia depot, besides freight wagons. October 15, 1891: Latest developments prove that we are to have a first class hotel, which long has been a crying need. Charles Johnson will at once commence the erection of a large and convenient hotel (Commercial House) on Main Street. March 24, 1892: Dr. H.B. Poppe has received his new three-ton safe and placed it in position. He will make arrangements to open the Scandinavia Exchange Bank in a short time. April 20, 1893: John Western erected a building (Jole's barbershop) adjoining the furniture store, which will be used by his wife and her sister as a millinery store. August 17, 1893: J.L. Tollefson & Co. has moved into their new brick building. Tollefson & Co. has the finest meat market in Waupaca County.August 24, 1893: The brickwork on S. Myhre’s building (hardware store) is now completed. September 7, 1893: S. M. Myhre has sold his brick store to Olson & Jacobson, hardware dealers. April 5, 1894: O.A. Olson has already commenced to gather material for the new brick building. He is going to build beside Olson and Jacobson’s store. August 9, 1894: The brick-work of O.A. Olson’s block is nearly completed.April 18, 1895: The old Waupaca House has changed hands. It was opened this week under the name of the Silver Lake Hotel. It will have first-class management. For a square meal be sure to take in the Silver Lake Hotel. November 21, 1895: C.A. Jole has bought what use to be Mrs. Western’s dress-making shop; has moved it to the north side of the furniture store, and will fix it up and use it for a barber shop. February 20, 1896: T.A. Peterson, the new postmaster, has on hand a limited supply of fancy valentine stamps. He has also improved his office with a new money order window. April 16, 1896: There will be a meeting of the citizens of the village, next Saturday evening, April 18, at 7 o’clock p.m., in Ed Nelson’s store building, for the purpose of organizing a new fire department. We have a good hand engine, a hose card with 700 feet of hose and a hook and ladder wagon, they why should we not make use of them and have a good fire company here. May 14, 1896: At the village board meeting last Friday, the board decided to build a village hall and engine room combined. They purchased the lot on Main Street next to the Temperance hall, where they will build a hall 24x38x18. The work is to be contributed by the citizens. August 22, 1896: At a meeting of the stockholders of the silver Lake Creamery last Saturday evening t was decided that a new creamery building shall be erected. It will be a good size building of modern style. July 15, 1897: The machinery is being moved into the new creamery this week. The new building is a 50x50 stone structure with steel roofing, located near the depot. January 12 1899: Dr. Gustavus Jenson Purchases the Temperance Hall and moves it between the meat market and Commercial House. He uses it as a drugstore. October 12, 1899: Mr. Basel "The Moving Picture Man" gives his show to a very large crowd at The Rink Sunday evening. November 23, 1899: Dr. M. Ravns Academy Drugstore burns down. November 30, 1899: Mr. Miller, who has been the proprietor of the Ogdensburg House purchases the Commercial House. March 1, 1904: H.M. Peterson is operating a gristmill two miles west of the Village. April 2, 1908: Commercial House under quarantine for small pox. May 20, 1909: Dr. B. C. DeLano, dentist conducts business every Thursday at the Commercial House. June 3, 1909: Electricity comes to Scandinavia. February 17, 1910: The Commercial House becomes the Hotel Thornton. (The hotel was located at the northeast corner of Norse and Main Streets.) December 8, 1910: Ski jump is built just south of Village on Ed Tolekke's property. September 6, 1917: John Otterson sells restaurant to Guy Sheveland. October 23, 1919: T. A. Peterson is remodeling rooms in the Korner Restaurant before moving in. February 16, 1922: Clara Peterson opens restaurant in the Belson building. Louis Stephenson buys the 2XX restaurant from Sheveland and Peterson. October 4, 1923: Guy Sheveland opens a shoe repair shop in the building formerly used as a barbershop. April 16, 1925: Gus Eland buys Peoples Meat Market. January 10, 1927: Dr. Clifford J. Berg opens a dental office above Swenson & Voie Furniture Store. January 12, 1928: The building known as "The Rink" burns down. May 24, 1928: Construction begins on the Community Hall. June 25, 1931: Work on the new Cities Service oil station is progressing. Pumps have been installed. Victor Peterson will be in charge. September 3, 1931: Cecil Hoover leases Guy Sheveland's restaurant building and opens a restaurant and confectionary. February 4, 1932: Fire damages Joe Block's store. (Building was located just south of where Little Norway now stands.) July 30, 1936: Old Hasvold Hotel is being remodeled into two houses. June 7, 1938: Gordon Trinrude purchases the interest of his brother in the tavern. Gordon's Bar became the new name of the business. September 7, 1939: O & J. Voie purchase the building south of Sevice Garage from L.J. Smith and move their stock of furniture from their old place of business. June 4, 1942: Marion State Bank buys Bank of Scandinavia. The old Dr. B.B.P. Poppe's drugstore building has been razed. March 4, 1943: Hoover's Tavern and Joe Blocks Store destroyed by fire. May 26, 1944: Former Ed Johnson building which served as first school house is torn down. April 26, 1945: Harold Lund sells Keenway Food store to Harold "Danny" Danielson. June 21, 1945: John Gertsch, Jr. moves his printing equipment into a new building. July 21, 1945: Scandinavia mill razed. December 26, 1946: Sidney Johnson Was listed as being the manager of Hanson Hardware. April 3, 1947: Paul Mittlestedt and his wife open a restaurant in the building which previously housed a furniture store. September 11, 1947: Howard Jergeson: buys Silver Lake Service Station from P.H. Peterson. January 15, 1945: Harlan Neuman and Donald Riley buy lumberyard from Al Otto. June 3, 1948: Classie Leean elected secretary of the Silver Lake Conservation Club. November 18, 1954: Green Bay and Western Railroad depot closes. January 1, 1955: Harold "Danny" Danielson sells Keenway Store to Clifford Otterson. He had operated the business for nearly nine years. June 26, 1958: Erling Forseth buys Gus Jole's barbershop.